Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis met with European Commissioner for Migration, Home Affairs and Citizenship Dimitris Avramopoulos and chaired a meeting with the presence of the Minister of Citizen Protection Mr. M. Chrysochoidis, Deputy Minister of Citizen Protection responsible for the Migration Policy Mr. G. Koumoutsakos and Minister of Shipping and Island Policy, Mr. G. Plakiotakis.
The purpose of the meeting was to set government priorities, always in close co-operation and with the technical assistance of the European Commission. PM Mitsotakis asked co-competent ministers to co-ordinate their actions in the immediate future in order to achieve the following goals:
- The immediate improvement of living conditions for refugees and migrants in the country; vulnerable groups is the main concern and the protection of unaccompanied children constitutes a top priority.
- The strengthening the protection of the common Greek and European borders, especially the maritime ones, with a new integrated plan that will place the European force under Greek command with clear operational rules of action. It is reminded that this project includes the best use of the European Border Guard and Coast Guard (Frontex) forces, the intensification of coast guard patrols and the upgrade of its logistical equipment, as well as the full use of European resources in full transparency.
- The reform of the institutional framework for asylum, aiming at its short, fair and effective delivery, by the end of 2019.
- Faithful implementation of the EU-Turkey Joint Declaration for managing migration and relief of overcrowding on Greek islands.
- Completing work at the reception and identification centre on Samos to ensure decent and safe living conditions for refugees and migrants.
- The integration of Community directives on security policy.